Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My Tribute to The Auld Yin

The Auld Yin
7 x 11 inches
Pastels on Pastelmat
This is my tribute to a wonderful Aussie Scot, or Scottish Aussie (I'm not sure which is right), that I have had the fabulous fortune to cross paths with on RedBubble. This charming gentleman works tirelessly to bring support, encouragement, humour and wit to many of the artists on RedBubble, myself included. His kind, heartwarming, cheerful comments have brightened my day on many an occasion, and last week I was reading a survey on his Profile Page and discovered that one of his wishes was that he might have a portrait done by me. I was so humbled and touched, and couldn't resist fulfilling his wish, but since I've never had the pleasure of meeting him in person, my only hope is I have captured his character accurately. If you get the chance, check out his RedBubble page and it is sure to bring a smile to your face!!!!

10 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

Karen, I do not know this man at all, but I can see why he wanted you to do his portrait. What a wonderful gift. I'd say you sure have captured what your words describe of his personality. This one just makes me smile back at him!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Sherry - he hasn't seen it yet so I'm a bit nervous. But he really does have that jolly kind of face that makes you smile doesn't he!!!

Unknown said...

Thats a great portrait Karen! The colours in the background provide a lovely contrast. The face looks very warm and friendly.

Unknown said...

Thank you Sam - it is actually your artwork that has inspired me to do this kind of background, because yours are so effective, and this is relatively easy to achieve with pastels. I would like to do a few more pastel portraits to try out some more backgrounds.

Debra Keirce said...

Karen, you've been so busy this month! I always sit in awe of your work. I love how your style combines such great detail, and yet your pieces are so soft - always spot on in proportions. You are amazing!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Deb - your comments are so thoughtful and humbling. I love how all are styles are so different and yet we can appreciate each other's creativity!!!

Unknown said...

Im flattered that you say that Karen because I really struggle with my backgrounds, Deb with vouch for that!
I think you have chosen the right colours here, they work wonderfully together and I must apologise for being so quick to comment on your last post. This one is definitely a favourite)

Unknown said...

Thank you Sam and no need to apologize - I'm touched you stop by at all, and any comment (short or long) is always appreciated!!

Debra Keirce said...

It's funny about backgrounds...I oscillate between wanting to simplify them and wanting to make them as complicated as I can. I think we all struggle with them. Sometimes, I think the backgrounds are harder than the actual subject I'm painting.

Unknown said...

I know what you mean Deb. I must admit I get easily bored, so for me, I always prefer to do a simple background, so that I can spend the most time on the subject. But then I always love looking at other people's artwork who have taken the time to do a lovely background.