Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Artist or The Subject?

The Artist or The Subject
A4
Coloured pencil and Pan Pastels on Matte board
On our recent holiday to Canberra, we took the family to Questacon, which is like an interactive, educational science museum for all ages. We ended up spending two days there, because there is so much to see and do and the kids have a ball. There is one whole level dedicated to perception and why our brain thinks the way it does and how easily it can be fooled - absolutely fascinating!!! It got me thinking that I would like to do some pieces using artist's hands drawing artworks that challenge our perceptions, and so this piece was just a trial piece. No perception challenges here, but just experimenting. I now have commissions starting to roll in again, so will be busy working on those, but will try to work on some of these ideas between portraits.

6 comments:

Debra Keirce said...

I agree - the perception challenges have always intrigued me. I think that's why M.C. Escher has always been one of my personal favorite artists. Also, I visited an artist here in VA - Jim McCullough. He's retired now, but he did a series of dioramas where the depth of the pieces was only 3", but he sculpted each piece in such a way that no matter where you stood in a room to view it, the details were spot on perfect in terms of perspective. So the eye was tricked into seeing dioramas that appeared to be several feet in depth...amazing.

Barbara A. Freeman said...

Beautiful work and a great idea Karen! You do skin tones so well.

Unknown said...

Thank you Barbara and Deb.
Someone mentioned M C Escher on RedBubble too Deb - I have heard of him, but am not familiar with his work so will definitely check out his work and the work of Jim McCullough - thank you for all that info!!! :)

Autumn Leaves said...

Which came first - the chicken or the egg? That is what this piece reminds me of! I love this one Karen; rather makes one think a bit and I like the direction you are going!

Unknown said...

Superb work .I always find hands so difficult to draw. This is so realistic. and the Brush and pencils. WOW I am speechless.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Sherry and Dors, for your wonderful, encouraging comments!!! :)