Thursday, December 30, 2010

Step by Step Coloured Pencil Tutorial of a Pug Dog Portrait

Here is the next in my series of step by step tutorials. This one shows you how to draw a head study of a pug dog using coloured pencils on drafting film. Drafting film is the perfect surface for drawing animal portraits in coloured pencil. It's smooth surface means that your pencils stay sharp for a long time, and so when drawing individual hairs as I have done on this pug dog, you get a lovely realistic appearance. Many people mistook this portrait for a photo. If achieving a photorealistic look in your pet portraits is your goal, then please have a look at this tutorial which is available, either directly from my website, or else from my Etsy or Ebay stores.
On a different note, I would like to offer our thoughts and prayers to all our friends in North Queensland who have been affected by the current floods. We hope and pray that the rain stops and that the waters subside very soon and that your losses are kept to a minimum!!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Karen. Your work never ceases to amaze me. It just keeps getting better. I don't know how you do it but your work is always so inspiring.

Brilliant work.

Unknown said...

Thank you Dors - this little pug was actually done earlier this year, but I am only just now getting around to compiling all these tutorials - there aren't enough hours in a day!!! And I would make exactly the same comments about your work!!! Hugs and Happy New Year!!

artbyakiko said...

I'm glad to know that you are now offering step-by-step tutorials! Your works are like magic!

Unknown said...

As are yours Akiko - but thank you so much for your very kind words!!! :)